If there has been a burglary in your area, research shows there is an increased risk of additional burglaries occurring within a short time frame and distance of the first burglary.
Please stay alert and consider these tips.
Burglary Prevention Tips:
- If you have the ability to do so, take a couple of minutes to walk around your residence and try to find a way to gain entry to your own residence. If you find a way, so will the burglar.
- Put away all your loose electronics (laptops, tablets, cell phones, etc.) and any identification items away from view.
- Lock all outside doors and windows before you leave… even if it’s just for a short time.
- Install deadbolts on all exterior doors.
- Leave lights on when you go out.
- Consider installing motion sensitive exterior lighting.
- Trim trees and hedges away from windows and doors.
- When you’re away for a longer period of time, stop mail, newspapers, and other deliveries or have a neighbor collect them for you.
- Consider installing an alarm system. Having an alarm system will notify our dispatch of an alarm and we can be en route to your residence and possibly track a suspect after they have left your residence. We may even catch them inside. If someone breaks into your house and you have an alarm with sensors, when the alarm goes off, the alarm itself may prevent the suspect from going into your residence.
- Mark property through engraving with an identification code- such as your driver’s license number.
- Consider participating in a neighborhood watch group.
- The Columbia Police Department has a unit that specializes in Crime Prevention. The Crime Prevention Unit can come out offer you a home survey. The home survey helps identify weak points in your residence that the subject can use to his advantage. Once those points are found, they can advise you what you need to do to fortify them so you can prevent burglaries. The number for this unit is 803-545-3555.
IF YOU ARE THE VICTIM OF A BURGLARY:
- Do not enter your home.
- Notify the police.
- To preserve evidence, do not touch or clean anything until the police have inspected the property.