April 6, 2017
The Columbia Housing Authority hosted a planning update meeting on April 6, 2017. Representatives of FHNA attended the meeting. The Housing Authority spent months dealing with historic preservation people about how to keep the history of the Gonzales Gardens alive. They have now signed a memorandum of agreement with HUD and the state to document the buildings and will build a history room in the old community center buildings which will be maintained. They also have oral histories.
Demolition is scheduled to begin in December 2017.
- Demolition is $2m of the $38m project. Funding has not been identified yet.
- There will be 272 units, not including single-family houses on McDuffie.
- Seniors units will be 1&2 bedroom.
- Townhomes facing Forest Drive will be 2 BR.
- Rental apartments with mixed incomes will be 2 and 3 BR.
- All units will have a balconies so residents can enjoy the outdoors.
- They will realign Lyon Street to be perpendicular to Forest Drive.
- The image below is a rough representation of the current plan.
Here is an image of the newest plan draft.